Monday, March 9, 2009

The Horse in the Grey Flannel Suit

The Horse in the Grey Flannel Suit (1968)

Dean Jones in his illustrious acting carrier at Disney has had some pretty interesting and engaging co-stars. A Duck, A Dog, Monkeys, a Car, and in this picture a Horse. The film starts out as a zany wacky goofy silly Disney comedy. And then it turns into a girl and her horse movie. That is all fine and dandy and it was a good girl and her horse movie, BUT I DIDN’T WANT A GIRL AND HER HORSE MOVIE, I WANTED CONSISTANT YUCKS AND LOADS OF SLAPSTICK.

For some reason Disney movies with Kurt Russel I never seem to fully like. They are good films, most of them (not The Computer wore Tennis Shoes) but never GREAT. I think Kurt hits his stride more in his adult years. But Dean is always a joy to watch on screen. He just has that presence.

I really thought it going to be about a horse in a law firm. Instead it has to do with a horse and an ad agency and the horse is indirectly involved. Again this was a good movie for the type of film that it was made for, but I’m really not interested in the subject matter and the comedy that was there when it was on was good.

On my honeymoon my wife and I went to show called 'Arabian Knights.' I thought it was going to be a fun specutacular show with lots of fun stuff but like this movie ended up being horse show with an arbian knights theme.

The scene where the police are trying to get Dean to pull over as they are chasing him on the horse is a fun moment in this picture. They needed more scenes like that one. But the drama with the girl and her horse dominated the storyline and the comedy didn’t dominate the picture like Gus did. I don’t watch sports on TV and Gus was about football (something I’m not interested in really) and it didn’t skimp on the slapstick.

Anyway, despite my harsh tone, it’s worth checking out if you want a good wholesome family film to watch, especially if you have a young girl who likes horses. Pray she doesn’t want you to buy you one.

No comments:

Post a Comment