Tuesday, March 17, 2009

That Darn Cat (1965)

That Darn Cat (1965)

As I re-watched TDC, I was planning on giving it a recommendation for inclusion in a family library. That was because it has such a talented and wonderful cast and because this film is considered a Disney classic. They even made a remake for Pete’s sake. A really bad bad remake I might add. The remake is not worth writing home about, but that is another review for another time.

I was only mildly amused in the beginning and somewhere part way through something clicked in the film for me. I noticed all the chases and characters running here and there and everywhere and then realized that ‘Hey, this really is worth writing home about’.

I was busy reading a book on Bob Hope when I was watching it, so I didn’t pay as much attention as I should have given the film. Gosh if I’m going to review films I should give them the attention they deserve gosh DARN it.

But I have seen it before and should see it again. But despite the non-descriptive review, I can say it is another Disney film that is worth putting in your library because it is a fun harmless picture that little ones can watch without cause to worry.

Directed by Robert Stevenson and starring super Disney superstars Hayley Mills and Dean Jones and a Disney animal.
Overall, That Darn Cat! is one of the best live action comedies produced from Walt's time. Refusing to settle for easy visual comedy from its photogenic animal star, the film excels with characters, plot, and humor which flows naturally. It's a smart and involving movie, and one which benefits from having the director, cast, and writers all putting the effort to get the most of it. The same cannot be said for all Disney comedies even those which delighted their initial audiences. But That Darn Cat! certainly remains a crowd-pleaser all these years later. Ultimate Disney Review

No comments:

Post a Comment