Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Minutemen

Minutemen to the Rescue, 5 October 2008

*** This comment may contain spoilers ***
When a friend of mine saw my movie selection, he vowed that he would never under any circumstances watch this film. Somehow he did end up watching it and liked it. I guess I did too. I'm not sure what I was expecting but it did end up being a charming and fun film to watch. It was free at the library so I though 'What's to lose but two hours of my life.'

It reminded me of similar but better films. 1985's 'Explorers' with a young Ethan Hawke and River Phoenix is one such film, along with 'Back to the Future' (also 1985), which they make reference to in the film, and 'Clockstoppers'. If the film was made more seriously like those films it would probably stand as a great sci-fi classic. But alas it was made with a Disney Chanel quality to it. It is a sci-fi scenario processed through a pre-teen comedy lens. But remember I said I liked it.

It has enough charm and fun moments to make it a satisfying viewing experience. Like any good sci-fi story it has some good food for thought. Three high schoolers become heroes who travel back in time to save nerds from embarrassment. The time vortex they use for time travel is a whirlwind of light they use a diving board to jump into. Is saving nerds from embarrassment a good thing? Once the nerds are saved they shed their humble and peaceful personas and develop cockiness and pride. Some people have never learned that suffering and embarrassment are sometimes vehicles that strengthen a person's character and keep them humble and good.

Overall not a bad little picture. Wouldn't be bad to own in your library and is at least worth a rental.

No comments:

Post a Comment